A Storm of Swords is the third book in its series. In it, the action picks up directly where it left off, as do the themes. Betrayal, revenge, death, love, violence, war, all that have to do with tragedy, you can find here. Except maybe drugs. Betrayal is probably the strongest. You never really know what side any of the characters is on. Tyrion, for example. He is a Lannister. In all the other characters eyes, it makes him an enemy. But he is not a liar. Nor is he cruel, merciless, or cheating. He is sometimes quite kind, and he's very funny. I've heard him described as the "good bad guy" or the "bad good guy", which I think is pretty accurate. A little easier to place- and in many ways, much harder- are Varys- who knows everything that goes on in the city, but only chooses to tell part of his information- and Littlefinger(Petyr Baelish)- master of coin, who can make money "with a snap of his fingers"- or Theon Geyjoy(who I don't even know to be alive or not. I hope not). I don't trust any of them, especially Littlefinger. Where does he get the money from anyway? Who knows.
This can be a rather depressing world message- don't trust anyone. Which is a bit harsh. You'd think surely some people in the world of Westeros are trustworthy. Unfortunately, there is no one- who's been mentioned, anyway- who wouldn't lie, bribe, threaten, or trick people for what they want. The moment you think someone might actually be a good guy- bam. They betray your favorite character. Example- Petyr Baelish and Ned. Ned trusted Littlefinger to employ the City Watch for him. This ended with Ned in the dungeons and Petyr richer than ever. But, I think not all trust is in vain. Families can trust each other (usually, the Lannisters are an exception). Some are very loyal, like Ser Jorah to Daenerys, or the Greatjon to Robb. So I think the statement can be revised to don't trust anyone you think might be untrustworthy. Which goes without saying.
But at the root of betrayal is revenge. It's why people betray others in the first place, like Theon Greyjoy. He was captured and raised by the Starks. He grew up with Robb and became one of his closest friends. Then he left Winterfell. On his return, he captured the castle and tried to kill Bran and Rickon(more Stark children. There are a lot of them). He said it was because he "had never been accepted" and that Ned "didn't treat him like a son", which obviously, he wasn't. But this is the same force that drives all betrayal. The quest for revenge.
What I think the characters should do is go to Daenerys and ask for her help. She is the rightful queen, after all. If they ally with her, they will be able to put her on the throne and bring peace to the realm. Which would be a very good thing. Sometimes I wonder, with all the death that goes on, how there are still men left to fight.
No comments:
Post a Comment