I look at you all see the love there that's sleeping
While my guitar gently weeps
I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping
Still my guitar gently weeps.
I don't know why nobody told you
How to unfold your love
I don't know how someone controlled you
They bought and sold you.
I look at the world and I notice it's turning
While my guitar gently weeps
With every mistake we must surely be learning
Still my guitar gently weeps.
I don't know how you were diverted
You were perverted too
I don't know how you were inverted
No one alerted you.
I look at you all see the love there that's sleeping
While my guitar gently weeps
Look at you all...
Still my guitar gently weeps.
This song is called “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” by The Beatles. It is a very sad song. I think George Harrison was trying to say that change is something that always happens, and there’s nothing to prevent them. Sometimes it’s other people who cause the change, or it just comes on its own. Often, it’s inexplicable. But it’s entirely unavoidable. Change is how life moves forward.
“I don’t know how you were diverted”. As in, the person he’s speaking to was obviously very dear to him, and she was diverted from their love. She most likely left him for somebody else, though he still cares for her. And he doesn’t know why, but wishes it hadn’t happened the way it did. I think the “guitar” represents his heart. Some people show their emotions through music, and I think he refuses to cry, as the world goes on, but his heart and mind “gently weep”. He watches the world go on, knows he can do nothing to prevent it, but wishes it was possible to go back. Ordinary life seems so plain, the smallest tasks take the largest effort. This is shown in how the song alternates between a verse that starts with “I look”, and a verse that starts with “I don’t know how”. The contents of the verses all reflect on the material life, and his inner thoughts.
Change in life happens slowly, or quickly, but always indefinitely. Sometimes change is for the better, but just as often it’s for the worst. From the way the song is written, the speaker (or singer) will obviously not get over them quickly. Perhaps they never will. True love may not be a real thing, but breakups can be heartbreaking. Especially if someone else got in between the couple. There was a definite change in the girl, and she was the one that broke it off, judging from the fourth verse. Change always happens, and we can’t prevent it. Though we may often wish that we could. You can never take anything back, and once something is done, it’s done.
I loved how you connected the guitar to his heart and his mind. It is very symmbolic if you look at it in that way.
ReplyDelete